Arcadia in Valley County, Nebraska — The American Midwest (Upper Plains)
Arcadia Congregational Church
The longest serving pastor was the Reverend William Alcorn, from 1919 to 1929. During his pastorate the church added 258 members and held 20 weddings. By the 1970s membership had begun to decline, and in August 1998 the five remaining members voted to close the church, after 110 years of service to the community, and donate the building to Arcadia. Now known as "The Gathering Place," it is used for weddings, funerals, and other events. It is the oldest building on Main Street.
Erected by Valley County Centennial Committee; Nebraska State Historical
Marker series. This marker is included in the Nebraska State Historical Society marker series.
Location. 41° 25.405′ N, 99° 7.342′ W. Marker is in Arcadia, Nebraska, in Valley County. Marker is at the intersection of Bridge Street and Hill Street (Local Route Bridge), on the left when traveling east on Bridge Street. This marker is on the east side of Arcadia (pop. 311) on the north side of State Highway 70. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Arcadia NE 68815, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 1 other marker is within walking distance of this marker. Arcadia Centennial 1885-1985 (approx. half a mile away).
Categories. • Churches & Religion • Settlements & Settlers •
More. Search the internet for Arcadia Congregational Church.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on October 9, 2014, by Joan Shurtliff of Seward, Nebraska. This page has been viewed 409 times since then and 4 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on October 9, 2014, by Joan Shurtliff of Seward, Nebraska. • Andrew Ruppenstein was the editor who published this page.