Bethesda in Montgomery County, Maryland — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
The Church that Named a Community
was built on this site in 1820 and called
Bethesda House of Mercy
The entire district came to be called by that name.
The community of Bethesda is known the world over as a center of Healing.
Erected 1958 by The Chevy Chase Chapter of the Daughters of the American Revolution.
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Churches & Religion. In addition, it is included in the Daughters of the American Revolution (DAR) series list. A significant historical month for this entry is February 1958.
Location. 39° 0.615′ N, 77° 5.875′ W. Marker is in Bethesda, Maryland, in Montgomery County. Marker is on Rockville Pike (Maryland Route 355) 0.6 miles south of Elsmere Avenue. Marker is just north of the Meeting House at 9400 Rockville Pike. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 9400 Rockville Pike, Bethesda MD 20814, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Bethesda Meeting House (within shouting distance of this marker); Cemetery of the Bethesda Presbyterian Church (within The Walter Reed Memorial (approx. half a mile away); Walter Reed Monument (approx. half a mile away); "All are Welcome to the Healing Plaza" (approx. half a mile away); At This Location (approx. half a mile away); Tree of Hippocrates (approx. 0.6 miles away); National Naval Medical Center in the 1940’s (approx. 0.6 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Bethesda.
Also see . . . Bethesda Meeting House - Wikipedia. (Submitted on October 14, 2014, by Bill Pfingsten of Bel Air, Maryland.)
Credits. This page was last revised on September 22, 2019. It was originally submitted on October 12, 2014, by Allen C. Browne of Silver Spring, Maryland. This page has been viewed 470 times since then and 44 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on October 12, 2014, by Allen C. Browne of Silver Spring, Maryland. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.