Near Winters in Runnels County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Named in honor of William Wyatt Poe, who came to Texas from his native Alabama in late 1870. Married Jerusha Evaline Cline in 1885; had ten children.
Moved family to Runnels County, 1904. Gave land for school and church buildings. Was school trustee. Three sons were later on school board.
Family active in farming, civic and church affairs. Son, Howard, introduced 4-row tractor farming to area in 1930. Upon W.W. Poe’s death, 1945, each child inherited a farm. Land is still farmed mainly by his grandsons.
Erected 1967 by State Historical Survey Committee. (Marker Number 4061.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Settlements & Settlers. A significant historical year for this entry is 1870.
Location. 31° 57.593′ N, 100° 3.659′ W. Marker is near Winters, Texas, in Runnels County. Marker is at the intersection of State Highway 153 and Farm to Market Road 384, on the left when traveling west on State Highway 153. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Winters TX 79567, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 6 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Site of Old Communities of Mazeland and Wilmeth St. John's Lutheran Church (approx. 5 miles away); Rock Hotel (approx. 5.6 miles away); Community of Pumphrey (approx. 5.6 miles away); Old Cotton Oil Mill (approx. 5.7 miles away); Robert Cooke, M.D. (approx. 5.7 miles away); Winters State Bank (approx. 5.8 miles away); Winters Lodge No. 743, A.F. & A.M. (approx. 5.8 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Winters.
Credits. This page was last revised on November 28, 2020. It was originally submitted on October 13, 2014, by Duane Hall of Abilene, Texas. This page has been viewed 795 times since then and 142 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on October 13, 2014, by Duane Hall of Abilene, Texas.