Rutland in Rutland County, Vermont — The American Northeast (New England)
Martin Henry Freeman
Martin Freeman, born in Rutland, became the first black college president in the United States and was a member of the second East Parish Congregational Church which stood on this site. He was prepared by Pastor William Mitchell for Middlebury College, graduating in 1849 as salutatorian. In 1850 Freeman was appointed professor at Allegheny Institute (later Avery College) near Pittsburgh, PA. Here he gained renown in the fields of science and mathematics. In 1856 Freeman advanced to the office of college president, the first black in the country to achieve this position. Freeman became active in the American emigration movement and moved his family to Africa in 1864. For many years he was professor at Liberia College and became its president shortly before his death in 1889.
Erected 1998 by Vermont Division for Historic Preservation.
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: African Americans • Education. In addition, it is included in the Historically Black Colleges and Universities 🎓 series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1849.
Location. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 46 North Main Street, Rutland VT 05701, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Fort Rutland Memorial (approx. 0.2 miles away); Old State House (approx. 0.2 miles away); a different marker also named Old State House (approx. 0.2 miles away); John Deere (approx. ¼ mile away); Green Mountain Boys (approx. 0.3 miles away); Rutland World War I Memorial (approx. 0.3 miles away); Korea War Memorial (approx. 0.3 miles away); Julia C.R. Dorr (approx. 0.3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Rutland.
Also see . . . Wikipedia - Martin Henry Freeman. (Submitted on October 14, 2014, by Kevin Craft of Bedford, Quebec.)
Credits. This page was last revised on August 24, 2016. It was originally submitted on October 14, 2014, by Kevin Craft of Bedford, Quebec. This page has been viewed 481 times since then and 29 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on October 14, 2014, by Kevin Craft of Bedford, Quebec. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.