Rutland in Rutland County, Vermont — The American Northeast (New England)
Old State House
Approximately four rods from the west wall of this armory stood the "OLD STATE HOUSE" demolished in 1912, in which Vermont legislative sessions were held at intervals from 1784 to 1804 inclusive, county court from 1784 to 1793 and in 1791 the first session of Federal Court to be held in Vermont.
Erected by National Society of the Colonial Dames of America in the State of Vermont.
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Government & Politics • Notable Buildings. In addition, it is included in the The Colonial Dames of America, National Society of series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1912.
Location. 43° 36.527′ N, 72° 58.418′ W. Marker is in Rutland, Vermont, in Rutland County. Marker can be reached from the intersection of West Street (Business U.S. 4) and Court Square. Marker is affixed to the left of the entrance of the old Armory building. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 15 West Street, Rutland VT 05701, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. A different marker also named Old State House (a few steps from this marker); John DeereFort Rutland Memorial (about 400 feet away); Green Mountain Boys (about 600 feet away); Rutland World War I Memorial (about 700 feet away); Julia C.R. Dorr (about 700 feet away); Korea War Memorial (about 800 feet away); Major General Merritt A. Edson (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Rutland.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on October 15, 2014, by Kevin Craft of Bedford, Quebec. This page has been viewed 423 times since then and 6 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on October 15, 2014, by Kevin Craft of Bedford, Quebec. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.