Near Fairmont in Fillmore County, Nebraska — The American Midwest (Upper Plains)
Fairmont Army Air Field
The rapid influx of construction workers and military personnel needed to build and operate the field brought housing shortages, as well as an economic boost, to Fairmont and other nearby communities. Area residents welcomed the servicemen and tried to make their stay more pleasant, often inviting the soldiers into their homes. Some servicemen met their future wives while at Fairmont, and returned here after the war to raise their families.
Fairmont Army Air Field was de-activated in October 1945 and declared surplus in the spring of 1946. Part of the field is now operated as the Fairmont State Airfield.
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Air & Space • War, World II. In addition, it is included in the Nebraska State Historical Society series list. A significant historical month for this entry is October 1945.
Location. 40° 38.297′ N, 97° 33.565′ W. Marker is near Fairmont, Nebraska, in Fillmore County. Marker is on County Route 15 south of U.S. 6, on the right when traveling south. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Fairmont NE 68354, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 7 other markers are within 13 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Fairmont Creamery Company (approx. 1.4 miles away); a different marker also named Fairmont Army Air Field (approx. 3.4 miles away); 1879 Exeter 1979 (approx. 5.7 miles away); The Purple Heart (approx. 12.8 miles away); Nebraska City-Fort Kearny Cut-Off (approx. 12.8 miles away); Moving People and Goods on the Overland Trail (approx. 12.8 miles away); Nebraska's I-80 Bicentennial Sculptures (approx. 12.8 miles away).
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on October 15, 2014, by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona. This page has been viewed 456 times since then and 15 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on October 15, 2014, by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona. • Andrew Ruppenstein was the editor who published this page.