Covington in Kenton County, Kentucky — The American South (East South Central)
St. John the Evangelist Church
St. John the Evangelist Church In 1848- 49 German- Catholics of Mother of God Church, Lewisburg, founded Stes. Peter and Paul School. In 1854, St. John Parish was created. Fr. Wm. Robbers (pastor 1879- 1903) was nationally prominent figure in the German- Priests Society. Parish moved here in 1914 with completion of current school building by architect J.F.Shelbessey. Over 2005 Kentucky Historical Society Kentucky Department of Highways 2165
St. John the Evangelist Church Fr. A. Goebel (pastor 1909- 1954) oversaw construction, completed, 1924, called masterpiece of Lude- wig & Dreisoner. St. Louis. Stained glass windows, Dr. Oldtmann; organ, W. Holtkamp; Bells, replica, Aachen Cathedral, Germany. Noted missionaries Bp. E. Fedders, Fr. A. Fedders, Fr. H. Hanses associated with parish. presented by St. Johns Parish
Erected 2005 by Kentucky Historical Society, Kentucky Department of Highways. (Marker Number 2165.)
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Churches & ReligionKentucky Historical Society series list.
Location. 39° 4.594′ N, 84° 31.316′ W. Marker is in Covington, Kentucky, in Kenton County. Marker is on West Pike (U.S. 42), on the right when traveling north. marker is on the right, on the inside of a curve, when coming down the hill into Covington. It is north of Hermes Avenue. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 663 West Pike Street, Covington KY 41011, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The Pied Piper of Hamelin (approx. half a mile away); Major League Baseball (approx. half a mile away); Una Merkel ~~ Film Star (approx. 0.6 miles away); Casper Ottens House (approx. 0.6 miles away); Robert L. Surtees (approx. 0.6 miles away); Slave Escape / Controversial Judgment (approx. 0.6 miles away); Mother of God Church / "Cradle of the Arts" (approx. ¾ mile away); Dr. Geo. V. Flaig (approx. 0.8 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Covington.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on October 17, 2014, by Rev. Ronald Irick of West Liberty, Ohio. This page has been viewed 362 times since then and 4 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8. submitted on October 17, 2014, by Rev. Ronald Irick of West Liberty, Ohio. • Al Wolf was the editor who published this page.