Medina in Orleans County, New York — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
Medina Fire Department
— Charge the hose! —
Below - The first motorized truck arrived in 1915 - a Waterous, purchased from the Waterous Engine Works of St. Paul, Minn. Showing off the new truck are (left to right) Chief Mahar, driver fireman Gallagher, fireman O'Brien and Slattery, and an unidentified man.
Below - circa 1903,
Bottom - circa 1933, Chief Schooley and his men pose for a photo outside their impressive firehouse.
Above, circa 1890 - Driver Fred Beard, Sr. tries out a new team of gray horses owned by William Smith as fireman Dunk O'Brien looks on.
In 1829, citizens began organizing the first fire-fighting efforts in Medina. Motivated by the outbreak of significant fires in those early years, a group of interested citizens rallied around the purchase of a hand cranked "fire engine" for the considerable sum of $270. Upon incorporation of the village, the machine (called Mercury) was purchased from the citizens, and on August 16, 1832 the first fire company was organized in the new Village of Medina. Throughout the rest of the century, many volunteer companies organized to assist the effort- The Mercury Engine Company, Cataract Hose Company, Alert Hose Company and others- all part of a greater overall undertaking to provide fire protection in the village.
In 1896, a village-wide fire alarm system was installed at a cost of $1002 via the Gamewell Fire Alarm & Telegraph Company. Prior to this an alarm was raised by ringing the bell at the First Baptist Church. With the dawn of the twentieth century, came a magnificant new stone City Hall with the first floor allocated to the fire department.
Interpretive prints and mounting provided courtesy of The Print Shop • Medina, NY 585-590-9093 • Designed by Chris Busch, ORG
Erected by Medina Fire Department Local 2161.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Charity & Public Work.
Location. 43° 13.136′ N, 78° 23.224′ W. Marker is in Medina, New York, in Orleans County. Marker is at the intersection of Main Street (New York State Route 31) and Park Avenue, on the left when traveling north on Main Street. NY 31 and NY 63 share Main Street here. Marker is just south of the intersection. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 600 Main Street, Medina NY 14103, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Welcome to Historic Medina (here, next to this marker); The Modern Age: Electric Trolley (about 400 feet away, Bent's Opera House - 1864 (about 600 feet away); Medina Sandstone (about 700 feet away); Frederick Douglass (about 800 feet away); Earliest Church (approx. 0.2 miles away); The Last Blacksmith Shop in Orleans County (approx. 0.2 miles away); On This Site Circa 1919 Alonzo L. Waters (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Medina.
Also see . . . Medina Fire Department. (Submitted on October 17, 2014, by Anton Schwarzmueller of Wilson, New York.)
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on October 17, 2014, by Anton Schwarzmueller of Wilson, New York. This page has been viewed 428 times since then and 7 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on October 17, 2014, by Anton Schwarzmueller of Wilson, New York. • Andrew Ruppenstein was the editor who published this page.