Seale in Russell County, Alabama — The American South (East South Central)
Macedonia Missionary Baptist Church /Macedonia School
Macedonia Missionary Baptist Church
Macedonia Baptist Church was organized in 1870 by Pastor Robert Fegins with the assistance of twelve members from Providence Baptist Church. The first person baptized in the church was Mr. Charles Smith who later became Sunday school superintendent. He became assistant pastor of the church in which capacity he served until his death in 1922. Following the remodeling of the church in 1990 it was resolved that the name be changed to Macedonia Missionary Baptist Church.
Macedonia School was established early in the twentieth century. The one-room frame building was heated by a pot-bellied stove and had no water or electricity. Mrs. Matilda McCoy was the school's first known teacher. On November 16, 1917, Mr. B. G. Jenning, chairman of Russell County Board of Education, authorized a three-month per year contract for a teacher at $25 per month. The contract was approved January 1, 1918. Mr. Wm. H. Person, the second teacher, was responsible for securing electricity for the school in the late 1940’s.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Churches & Religion • Education.
Location. 32° 16.1′ N, 85° 3.45′ W. Marker is in Seale, Alabama, in Russell County. Marker is on Oswichee Road (County Road 18) 1.9 miles east of Greenburt/Nuckols Roads (County Road 39), on the right when traveling east. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 329 Oswichee Road, Seale AL 36875, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 6 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Bartram's Trail (approx. 3.3 miles away); Spanish Fort, 1689-1691 (approx. 4˝ miles away); Pokkecheta, or the Ball Play (approx. 5.7 miles away); J.W. and Ethel I. Woodruff Foundation Interpretive Trail (approx. 5.7 miles away); Indian Ball Ground (approx. 5.7 miles away); Fort Mitchell and Creek Removal (approx. 5.7 miles away); Cultural Exchange and Cooperation (approx. 5.7 miles away); The Census of 1832 (approx. 5.7 miles away).
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on October 19, 2014, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama. This page has been viewed 472 times since then and 22 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on October 19, 2014, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.