Castleton in Rutland County, Vermont — The American Northeast (New England)
The "Old Chapel"
Castleton Medical College
— (1818-1862) —
Castleton Medical College was the first such college in Vermont. This structure, built in 1821, was originally located on Main Street west of the present town library. In 1864 a leading citizen presented the building to Harriet Haskell, Principal of Castleton Seminary. It has served the College as dormitory, classrooms, and chapel and is a reminder of traditions which date back to the College’s founding in 1787. It is listed on the National Register of Historic Places.
Erected by Vermont Division for Historic Preservation.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Education • Notable Buildings.
Location. 43° 36.63′ N, 73° 10.703′ W. Marker is in Castleton, Vermont, in Rutland County. Marker is on Seminary Street 0.1 miles south of Main Street (Alternate U.S. 4), on the left when traveling south. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 71 Seminary Street, Castleton VT 05735, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 4 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. "Vermont's First College" (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Meeting of Allen and ArnoldJames Hope (approx. ¼ mile away); Fort Warren (approx. 0.7 miles away); Conflict at Fort Warren (approx. 0.7 miles away); Edwin L. Drake (approx. 1.7 miles away); Slate Pencil Manufacturing (approx. 3.6 miles away); First Slate Quarry in Western Vermont (approx. 3.9 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Castleton.
Also see . . . Wikipedia - Castleton State College. (Submitted on October 22, 2014, by Kevin Craft of Bedford, Quebec.)
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on October 22, 2014, by Kevin Craft of Bedford, Quebec. This page has been viewed 335 times since then and 25 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on October 22, 2014, by Kevin Craft of Bedford, Quebec. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.