Gaines in Orleans County, New York — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
Gaines District No.5 1849 School House
Was used until 1952. Made
of lake-washed stone it is
one of over 900 cobblestone
masonry buildings built in
N.Y. State from 1825 to 1860.
Marker in memoriam Elwood Lawrence, Teacher, 1951-52
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Education.
Location. 43° 17.242′ N, 78° 11.268′ W. Marker is in Gaines, New York, in Orleans County. Marker is on Ridge Road West (New York State Route 104) 0.2 miles east of Oak Orchard Road (New York State Route 98), on the right when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 14447 Ridge Road, Albion NY 14411, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. At Left: Cobblestone House / At Right: Cobblestone House (about 600 feet away, measured in a direct line); Cobblestones (approx. 0.2 miles away); Home of John Proctor (approx. 0.3 miles away); Pioneer Settler (approx. half a mile away); The Lake Plain (approx. 0.6 miles away); Home of Katherine Belle Rowley (approx. Burial Ground (approx. 1.3 miles away); Niagara to Genesee Historic Ridge Road (approx. 1.3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Gaines.
More about this marker. Marker is in the town of Gaines, hamlet of Childs, zip code Albion.
Regarding Gaines District No.5 1849 School House. The school house is owned by the Cobblestone Society Museum; their main building is the church which is about a half dozen lots to the west. A museum sign is in front of the school house. This property is part of the Cobblestone Historic District, a U.S. National Historic Landmark District. See index 3 on the "cobblestones" marker.
Also see . . .
1. Cobblestone Historic District - Wikipedia. (Submitted on October 23, 2014, by Anton Schwarzmueller of Wilson, New York.)
2. Cobblestone Society Museum. (Submitted on October 23, 2014, by Anton Schwarzmueller of Wilson, New York.)
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on October 23, 2014, by Anton Schwarzmueller of Wilson, New York. This page has been viewed 314 times since then and 16 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7. submitted on October 23, 2014, by Anton Schwarzmueller of Wilson, New York. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.