Saint John in Saint John County, New Brunswick — The Atlantic Provinces
Irish Immigrant Memorial
A reproduction of the plaque on the original cross is shown below.
This monument was erected in memory of more than 2000 Irish immigrants who died of typhus fever contracted on shipboard during the voyage from Ireland during the famine year 1847, and of whom 600 were buried in this island.
This cross also commemorates the devotion and sacrifice of Dr. Patrick Collins, who, after ministering to the victims of the disease, himself contracted it and died.
Designed and erected by George McArthur -- 1927.
Topics. This historical marker memorial is listed in these topic lists: Cemeteries & Burial Sites • Charity & Public Work.
Location. 45° 16.012′ N, 66° 3.62′ W. Marker is in Saint John, New Brunswick, in Saint John County. Marker is on Water Street 0 kilometers north of Prince Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Saint John, New Brunswick E2L 2C2, Canada. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. A Portal to the New World / La porte du Nouveau Monde (here, next to this marker); The "Three Lamps" (within shouting distance of this marker); An Island Abounding With Life / Une île pleine de vie (within shouting distance of this marker); Shedding Light on the Three Sisters Mystery / Faire la lumière sur le mystère des trois sœurs (within shouting distance of this marker); The Marco Polo / Le Marco Polo (within shouting distance of this marker); The Largest in British North America / La plus grande en Amérique du Nord britannique (about 90 meters away, measured in a direct line); Clearing Customs in Style / Franchir les douanes avec grâce (approx. 0.3 kilometers away); The Troop Fleet in the Days of Sail (approx. 0.4 kilometers away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Saint John.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on October 24, 2014, by Karl Stelly of Gettysburg, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 425 times since then and 12 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on October 24, 2014, by Karl Stelly of Gettysburg, Pennsylvania. • Andrew Ruppenstein was the editor who published this page.