Bishop in Inyo County, California — The American West (Pacific Coastal)
In it’s early years, the Slim Princess (no one knows the origin of the name) carried passengers as well as mining and agricultural outputs. However, with the advent of highways and standard track, the decline in mining, the lines were abandoned and in 1945 the rails were taken up for the Second World War.
In 1954 S.P. purchases a diesel engine so the remaining 3 steam engines (which could burn up to 800 gallons of oil per round trip from Laws to Keeler) were retired. No. 9 ran under her own power for the last time in 1959 and was then kept as a standby. It was seen in several movies shot in the area including John Wayne’s “The Three Godfathers”.
The Slim Princess was donated to Inyo County and along with the depot, water tower, turntable, etc., it formed the nucleus of the Laws Museum and Historical
Erected 2000 by Bishop Mural Society.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Railroads & Streetcars. A significant historical year for this entry is 1909.
Location. 37° 21.873′ N, 118° 23.66′ W. Marker is in Bishop, California, in Inyo County. Marker is on East Pine Street, on the right when traveling east. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 175 East Pine Street, Bishop CA 93514, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 4 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Whiskey Creek History (within shouting distance of this marker); The Little Kittie Inn (within shouting distance of this marker); The Ernest Kinney Teamster Family Mural (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); "Atlas Copco Mucker" (approx. 0.2 miles away); History of "Dangerous Arrest" (approx. ¼ mile away); The Mule (approx. 0.6 miles away); Project Sierra Wave (approx. 1.6 miles away); San Francis Ranch (approx. 3.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Bishop.
More about this marker. Mural painted by Robert Thomas, John Knowlton, and Rich Perkins. Located on Fendon’s Furniture north wall.
Credits. This page was last revised on April 6, 2018. It was originally submitted on October 26, 2014, by Denise Boose of Tehachapi, California. This page has been viewed 505 times since then and 32 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7. submitted on October 26, 2014, by Denise Boose of Tehachapi, California. 8. submitted on April 4, 2018, by Craig Baker of Sylmar, California. • Syd Whittle was the editor who published this page.