Near Glencoe in Middlesex County, Ontario — Central Canada
Here was fought the Battle of Longwoods, 4th March, 1814. United States troops were entrenched on this hill. The British losses were Captain D. Johnson and Lieutenant P. Graeme and twelve men of the Royal Scots Light Company and the 89th Light Company, fifty-two officiers and men of these companies of these companies and of the Loyal Kent Volunteers, wounded.
Ici se déroula la bataille de Longwoods, le 4 mars 1814. Des troupes des États-Unis s’étaient retranchées sur cette colline. Les forces britannique y perdirent le capitaine D. Johnson, le lieutenant P. Graeme et douze soldats des compagnies d’infanterie légère Royal Scots et 89ᵉ, tués au combat; 52 officiers et soldats de ces mêmes compagnies et des Loyal Kent Volunteers ont été blessés.
Erected 1929 by Historic Sites and Monument Board of Canada/Commission de lieux et monuments historique du Canada.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: War of 1812. A significant historical date for this entry is March 4, 1814.
Location. 42° 41.646′ N, 81° Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 3219 Longwoods Road, Glencoe, Ontario N0L, Canada. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 4 other markers are within 21 kilometers of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Battle of Longwoods (a few steps from this marker); Fairfield on the Thames / The Fairfield Mission (approx. 20.1 kilometers away); Fairfield (approx. 20.3 kilometers away); The Burning of Fairfield (approx. 20.3 kilometers away).
Also see . . . Battle of Longwoods - Wikipedia. The Battle of Longwoods took place during the Anglo-American War of 1812. On 4 March 1814, a mounted American raiding party defeated an attempt by British regulars, volunteers from the Canadian militia and Native Americans to intercept them near Wardsville, in present-day Southwest Middlesex, Ontario. (Submitted on October 29, 2014, by Barry Swackhamer of Brentwood, California.)
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on October 29, 2014, by Barry Swackhamer of Brentwood, California. This page has been viewed 511 times since then and 12 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on October 29, 2014, by Barry Swackhamer of Brentwood, California. • Andrew Ruppenstein was the editor who published this page.