Dresden in Chatham-Kent Division, Ontario — Central Canada
The Founding of Dresden
Erected by Archaeological and Historic Sites Board, Department of Public Records and Archives of Ontario.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: African Americans • Settlements & Settlers. A significant historical year for this entry is 1846.
Location. 42° 35.417′ N, 82° 10.764′ W. Marker is in Dresden, Ontario, in Chatham-Kent Division. Marker is at the intersection of Main Street and Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 103 Main Street, Dresden, Ontario N0P 1M0, Canada. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 18 kilometers of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Henson House (approx. 1.4 kilometers away); Sawmill (approx. 1.4 kilometers away); Spirituality and Community (approx. 1.5 kilometers away); Harris House (approx. 1.5 kilometers away); Josiah Henson (approx. 1.5 kilometers away); The Dawn Settlement (approx. 1.5 kilometers away); Burning of British Ships / American Encampment (approx. 17 kilometers away); The Legend of the Paw Paw (approx. 17 kilometers away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Dresden.
Also see . . . Dresden, Ontario - Wikipedia. Hugh Burnett returned to his home town of Dresden, after serving his country in World War II. However, he was not served in some restaurants because he was black. So, in 1948, he and other African Canadians founded the National Unity Association. They collected 115 names on a petition to end discrimination. This resulted in a referendum in Dresden which asked “Do you approve of the council passing a bylaw licensing restaurants in Dresden and restraining the owner or owners from refusing service regardless of race, colour or creed?” 108 voted that restaurant owners should serve everyone. 517 voted against. Read (Submitted on October 31, 2014, by Barry Swackhamer of Brentwood, California.)
Credits. This page was last revised on September 27, 2019. It was originally submitted on October 31, 2014, by Barry Swackhamer of Brentwood, California. This page has been viewed 463 times since then and 15 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on October 31, 2014, by Barry Swackhamer of Brentwood, California. • Andrew Ruppenstein was the editor who published this page.