Oil Springs in Lambton County, Ontario — Central Canada
First Oil Wells in Canada
Les Premiers Puits de Pétrole au Canada
The presence of oil in this locality was observed by early travelers and by the pioneer farmers who used it for medical purposes. In 1858, near Oil Springs, James M. Williams dug the first oil well in Canada and later established a refinery at Hamilton. In 1861, John Shaw, by drilling into rock, opened the first flowing well, its situation being Lot 18, Concession 2, Enniskillen Township. From these beginnings developed one of Canada’s most important industries.
La présence de pétrole dans cette région fut remarquée par les premiers voyageurs et les pionniers, qui l’utilisaient à des fins médicinales. En 1858, près de Oil Springs, James M. Williams creusa la premier puits de pétrole du Canada et créa plus tard un raffinerie à Hamilton. En 1861, John Shaw, en forant dans le roc, ouvrit le premier puits de pétrole à écoulement naturel dans le lot 18, concession 2 de canton d’Enniskillen. Cette découverte amorça le développement de l’une des industries le plus importantes du Canada.
Erected by Historic Sites and Monument Board of Canada/Commission de lieux
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Industry & Commerce. In addition, it is included in the Canada, Historic Sites and Monuments Board series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1858.
Location. 42° 46.382′ N, 82° 7.25′ W. Marker is in Oil Springs, Ontario, in Lambton County. Marker can be reached from Kelly Road just from Gum Bed Line, on the left when traveling south. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 2423 Kelly Road, Oil Springs, Ontario N0N, Canada. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 23 kilometers of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Victoria Hall (approx. 12.2 kilometers away); The Founding of Petrolia (approx. 12.2 kilometers away); Robert M. Nicol Library (approx. 12.3 kilometers away); The Founding of Dresden (approx. 20.9 kilometers away); Henson House (approx. 21.8 kilometers away); Josiah Henson (approx. 21.8 kilometers away); Spirituality and Community (approx. 21.8 kilometers away); Sawmill (approx. 21.8 kilometers away).
More about this marker. This marker is located on the grounds of the Oil Museum of Canada.
Also see . . . Oil Springs, Ontario. Before the village was formed, the indigenous people already knew about the gum beds and used the sticky oil to waterproof their canoes. The place, originally called Black Creek, became the site of North America's first commercial oil well when asphalt (Submitted on October 31, 2014, by Barry Swackhamer of Brentwood, California.)
Credits. This page was last revised on September 4, 2020. It was originally submitted on October 31, 2014, by Barry Swackhamer of Brentwood, California. This page has been viewed 460 times since then and 10 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7. submitted on October 31, 2014, by Barry Swackhamer of Brentwood, California. • Andrew Ruppenstein was the editor who published this page.