Little Falls in Morrison County, Minnesota — The American Midwest (Upper Plains)
Holy Family Parish
Little Falls Historic Landmark
— Belle Prairie • Founded 1852 —
Addition & Remodeling
Dedication - June 2000
This property recognized by
Heritage Preservation Commission
1852-1877 • 1877-1916 • 1916-1999
In 1853 Fr. Francis Xavier Pierz, missionary to the Indians, established the oldest permanent parish in the Diocese of St. Cloud at Belle Prairie. St. Andrews Church was built on land purchased from the Bisson family. In 1857 the land deed was granted to Bishop Cretin. In 1872 the name of the French speaking Parish of St. Andrews was change to Holy Family Parish.
In 1877 under the direction of Father Buh, parish volunteers started building Holy Family Church. Farmers hauled the stone needed for the construction from the rapids of the nearby Mississippi River. On October 10, 1880 the stone and concrete church was dedicated by Bishop Seidenbusch. A succession of 13 priests served the parish through 1920.
From 1916 to 1949 while Fr. Pellet was pastor, many
The construction of Project 2000 began in 1999 by parish volunteers. A gathering room at the entrance, a meeting room on the west end and an elevator were added making more room for funerals, weddings and fellowship. This new addition was dedicated to Father Kost by Bishop John Kinney on June 3, 2000.
Erected by Holy Family Parish and Little Falls Heritage Preservation Commission.
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Churches & Religion • Man-Made Features. In addition, it is included in the Minnesota, Little Falls Heritage Preservation Walking/Driving Tour series list.
Location. 46° 2.034′ N, 94° 20.304′ W. Marker is in Little Falls, Minnesota, in Morrison County. Marker is on Riverwood Drive 0.1 miles west of Minnesota Highway Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 18777 Riverwood Drive, Little Falls MN 56345, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 4 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Franciscan Sisters of the Immaculate Conception (here, next to this marker); The Bell (within shouting distance of this marker); The Way of the Cross (within shouting distance of this marker); Log Cabin (within shouting distance of this marker); Site of Foundation of the Missionary Franciscan Sisters of the Immaculate Conception (within shouting distance of this marker); Belle Prairie Church and Log Cabin (within shouting distance of this marker); The Monument (within shouting distance of this marker); 99th Infantry Battalion (Sep) activated at Camp Ripley August 1942 (approx. 3.3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Little Falls.
Also see . . .
1. History of Holy Family Church, Belle Prairie MN. (Submitted on October 31, 2014, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
2. Little Falls Self-Guided Historic Walking or Driving Tour.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on October 31, 2014, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 308 times since then and 11 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on October 31, 2014, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.