Daggett in San Bernardino County, California — The American West (Pacific Coastal)
The building was an auto repair shop on the National Old Trails Highway until World War II, when it became a mess hall for United States Army troops guarding the local railroad bridges. The Fouts brothers bought the building in 1946 and operated an automotive garage and machine shop in the building until the mid-1980s. The building is currently owned and operated by the Golden Mining and Trucking Company.
Erected 2003 by Billy Holcomb Chapter No. 1069, E Clampus Vitus and the Daggett Historical Society, Inc. (Marker Number 115.)
Topics and series. This historical marker is Industry & Commerce • Notable Buildings • Settlements & Settlers. In addition, it is included in the E Clampus Vitus series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1896.
Location. 34° 51.795′ N, 116° 53.021′ W. Marker is in Daggett, California, in San Bernardino County. Marker is at the intersection of Santa Fe Street and 4th Street, on the right when traveling east on Santa Fe Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 35565 Santa Fe Street, Daggett CA 92327, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 7 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Daggett (approx. 0.2 miles away); Liberty Sculpture Park (approx. 3.9 miles away); Statue of Li Wangyang (approx. 4 miles away); Original Del Taco (approx. 4.6 miles away); Town of Calico (approx. 6 miles away); Calico Lives Again (approx. 6 miles away); Lucy Bell Lane (approx. 6.1 miles away); Calico’s School House (approx. 6.2 miles away).
Regarding Daggett Garage. Daggett was named for Lt. Governor John R. Daggett, owner of the Bismark Mine in the Calico Mountains. The town was a supply point for the desert miners, the Calico area
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on December 20, 2011, by Michael Kindig of Long Beach, California. This page has been viewed 1,161 times since then and 197 times this year. Last updated on November 3, 2014, by Michael Kindig of Long Beach, California. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on December 20, 2011, by Michael Kindig of Long Beach, California. 3, 4. submitted on December 25, 2011, by Michael Kindig of Long Beach, California. 5. submitted on May 8, 2012, by Michael Kindig of Long Beach, California. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.