Death Valley Junction in Inyo County, California — The American West (Pacific Coastal)
Amargosa Opera House
Between the years 1948 to 1967, Corkill Hall was abandoned as Death Valley Junction began to decline.
In 1967 Marta Becket discovered the abandoned building, and transformed it into the Amargosa Opera House which officially opened February 10, 1968.
Erected 1988 by The Grand Council of E Clampus Vitus. (Marker Number 52.)
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Entertainment • Notable Buildings. In addition, it is included in the E Clampus Vitus series list. A significant historical date for this entry is February 10, 1942.
Location. 36° 18.128′ N, 116° 24.873′ W. Marker is in Death Valley Junction, California, in Inyo County. Marker is at the intersection of Death Valley Junction (State Highway 127) and Ash Meadows Road, on the right when traveling south on Death Valley Junction. Marker is located on the Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 608 Death Valley Junction, Death Valley CA 92328, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 6 other markers are within 13 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Death Valley Junction (within shouting distance of this marker); Jack Longstreet (approx. 7.7 miles away in Nevada); Amargosa Valley's Clay Industry (approx. 7.7 miles away in Nevada); A Changing Landscape (approx. 10.3 miles away in Nevada); Cultural Clues to the Past (approx. 10˝ miles away in Nevada); Jack's Stone Cabin (approx. 12˝ miles away in Nevada).
Also see . . . Amargosa Opera House and Hotel. Wikipedia entry (Submitted on December 30, 2020, by Larry Gertner of New York, New York.)
Credits. This page was last revised on November 13, 2021. It was originally submitted on January 12, 2012, by Michael Kindig of Long Beach, California. This page has been viewed 776 times since then and 44 times this year. Last updated on November 3, 2014, by Michael Kindig of Long Beach, California. Photos: 1. submitted on January 12, 2012, by Michael Kindig of Long Beach, California. 2, 3. submitted on October 25, 2020, by Craig Baker of Sylmar, California. 4. submitted on January 12, 2012, by Michael Kindig of Long Beach, California. 5. submitted on October 24, 2021, by Craig Baker of Sylmar, California. 6. submitted on August 8, 2016, by Michael Kindig of Long Beach, California. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.