Annapolis Royal in Annapolis County, Nova Scotia — The Atlantic Provinces
The Black Hole
The French built this powder magazine into the earthworks of their new fort in 1702. Both the French and the British used it to store gunpowder. In the early 1800s, it was used briefly as a prison or “Black Hole.”
In the 1890s, local citizens who were concerned about the dilapidated state of Fort Anne won a grant from the Government of Canada to restore this magazine.
En 1702, les Français construisent cette poudrière dans les remblais du nouveau fort. Elle sert aux Français et aux Britanniques pour entreposer la poudre à canon. Brièvement au début des années 1800, on s’en sert comme prison; l’endroit est alors aussi appelé un cachot.
Dans les années 1890, des gens de la localité, préoccupes par l’état délabré du fort Anne, obtiennent une subvention du gouvernement du Canada pour restaurer la poudrière.
Erected by Parks Canada.
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Forts and Castles. In addition, it is included in the Acadian History series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1702.
Location. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 323 St George Street, Annapolis Royal, Nova Scotia B0S, Canada. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The Flag Bastion (a few steps from this marker); Port-Royal (within shouting distance of this marker); Samuel Vetch (within shouting distance of this marker); Queen’s Wharf (within shouting distance of this marker); Captures of Port Royal (about 90 meters away, measured in a direct line); Fort Anne, a Bastioned Fort (about 90 meters away); Sieur de Monts (about 90 meters away); Daniel Auger de Subercase (about 90 meters away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Annapolis Royal.
More about this marker. This marker is located on the grounds of Fort Anne National Historic Site.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on November 3, 2014, by Barry Swackhamer of Brentwood, California. This page has been viewed 390 times since then and 11 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on November 3, 2014, by Barry Swackhamer of Brentwood, California. • Andrew Ruppenstein was the editor who published this page.