The Lower House
Hampton National Historic Site
This building, historically referred to as the “Lower House” by the Ridgely family, served a variety of purposes. Originally, Hampton’s first master, Captain Charles Ridgely, lived in this house before the mansion was completed. In the 19th century, the building served primarily as a residence for the farm manager or overseer. Close to both fields and farm slaves, it was “lower” in many respects: the overseer was lower in social standing than the estate owner and his quarters were located geographically lower than the mansion. Activities of the Home Farm were managed from this building. When Hampton became a National Historic Site in 1948, John Ridgely Jr., the last owner of the estate, moved from the mansion back here to the Lower House.
(Inscription under the bell in the upper left)
The bell (ca.1850) atop the Lower House called the enslaved into and out of the field.
(Inscription beside the overseer in the lower left)
On a large estate like Hampton, overseers were often caught between the demands of the masters and
Erected by National Park Service-United States Department of the Interior.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: African Americans • Civil Rights • Patriots & Patriotism. A significant historical year for this entry is 1745.
Location. 39° 25.248′ N, 76° 35.184′ W. Marker is in Towson, Maryland, in Baltimore County. Marker is on Hampton Lane. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 535 Hampton Lane, Towson MD 21286, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The View from Below (here, next to this marker); Quarters #2 & 3 (within shouting distance of this marker); A Slave Village (within shouting distance of this marker); Corn Culture (within shouting distance of this marker); The Cream of Hampton (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Thoroughbreds at Hampton (approx. 0.2 miles away); Hampton: An American Story (approx. 0.3 miles away); Ridgely's Pride (approx. 0.3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Towson.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on November 5, 2014, by Don Morfe of Baltimore, Maryland. This page has been viewed 484 times since then and 20 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on November 5, 2014, by Don Morfe of Baltimore, Maryland. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.