Highland in Oakland County, Michigan — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
The Village Of Highland Station
In 1880 John B. Crouse and Henry A. Tremaine built the Highland Pickle Works on East Livingston Road just east of the tracks, while in 1881 Mary Ann Needham began making pickles at her home at the north end of town. Her business became the Domestic Pickle Works, later owned by her son Charles E. Needham. Another son, William Needham, Jr. started producing his own “U-Need-Um” brand name. While the Highland Pickle Works burned in 1896, the Needham family made pickles until the 1960s.
In 1882 John B. Crouse platted an addition southwest of the original village.
By 1900 Highland Station could boast a township hall, depot, grain elevator, stockyard, pickle works, woodworking mill, hotels, stores, churches and a school. Construction of M-59 in 1936 bypassed the village to the north, sparing the original downtown. The post office was renamed simply Highland in 1903, Highland Station continues to be used to refer to the historic portion of the village.
Erected 2014 by Highland Township Historical Society.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Industry & Commerce • Settlements & Settlers. A significant historical date for this entry is January 1, 1874.
Location. 42° 38.285′ N, 83° 37.172′ W. Marker is in Highland, Michigan, in Oakland County. Marker is at the intersection of West Livingston Road and North John Street, on the left when traveling east on West Livingston Road. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 250 West Livingston Road, Highland MI 48357, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 3 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Methodist Episcopal Church of Highland Station (within shouting distance of this marker); Pettibone Creek Mills (approx. 0.6 miles away); Rowe House (approx. 1.8 miles away); West Highland Cemetery (approx. 2.1 miles away); The Haven Hill Getaway (approx. 2.9 miles away); Edsel Ford's Leadership (approx. 2.9 miles away); Haven Hill Lodge (approx. 2.9 miles away); Haven Hill Carriage House (approx. 2.9 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Highland.
Credits. This page was last revised on November 11, 2020. It was originally submitted on November 7, 2014, by Eugene H Beach Jr of Highland, Michigan. This page has been viewed 741 times since then and 52 times this year. Photos: 1. submitted on November 7, 2014, by Eugene H Beach Jr of Highland, Michigan. 2. submitted on November 10, 2020, by Joel Seewald of Madison Heights, Michigan. • Al Wolf was the editor who published this page.