Annapolis Royal in Annapolis County, Nova Scotia — The Atlantic Provinces
Major Erasmus James Philipps
Founder of the first masonic lodge in
Canada at Annapolis Royal, Nova Scotia
June - 1738
First Provincial Grand Master
Erected by the Grand Lodge of
A.F. & A.M. of Nova Scotia, 1938
Erected 1938 by A.F. & A.M. of Nova Scotia,.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Fraternal or Sororal Organizations. A significant historical year for this entry is 1738.
Location. 44° 44.674′ N, 65° 31.163′ W. Marker is in Annapolis Royal, Nova Scotia, in Annapolis County. Marker is on St. George Street, on the right when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 228 St George Street, Annapolis Royal NS B0S, Canada. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Sinclair Inn (here, next to this marker); Sir William Fenwick Williams (within shouting distance of this marker); Sir William Robert Wolseley Winniett. (within shouting distance of this marker); Glebe Lands (about 90 meters away, measured in a direct line); Rose Fortune (about 120 meters away); Annapolis Royal Historic District (about 120 meters away); Wharf & Waterfront (about 120 meters away); Masonic Stone of 1606 (about 180 meters away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Annapolis Royal.
More about this marker. This marker is located next to the Sinclair Inn.
Also see . . . Major Erasmus James Philipps - Dictionary of Canadian Biography. In addition to his council and military duties Philipps was assigned other responsibilities which were to make him a frequent visitor to New England. An appointment, with William Skene and Otho Hamilton, as a Nova Scotia representative on a commission for settling a boundary dispute between New Hampshire and Massachusetts, took him to Hampton (N.H.) in August 1737 and then on to Boston for a lengthy visit. (Submitted on November 7, 2014, by Barry Swackhamer of Brentwood, California.)
Credits. This page was last revised on August 16, 2017. It was originally submitted on November 7, 2014, by Barry Swackhamer of Brentwood, California. This page has been viewed 366 times since then and 24 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on November 7, 2014, by Barry Swackhamer of Brentwood, California. • Andrew Ruppenstein was the editor who published this page.