Albertville in Marshall County, Alabama — The American South (East South Central)
A Celebration of 150 Years
Albertville, located in Marshall County in northeast Alabama, was named for Thomas A. Albert, one of the first area residents. It lies on Sand Mountain, a plateau approximately 25 miles wide and 75 miles long. Albertville was hunting ground for the Indians until the early 1800s. Migration to this region began in 1844 and continued steadily until the advent of the Civil War. In 1872, another migration into the area began due to word of its rich soil and bountiful forest. Albertville was first settled around 1850. The first post office was established on January 13, 1860. On February 18, 1891, Albertville was officially incorporated as a city. One of the worst tornadoes in Alabama’s history destroyed Albertville in 1908, but the town was rebuilt. An electric system was quickly built and the city water system was inaugurated in 1909. The first hospital was built in 1917.
Erected 2010 by Alabama Tourism Department and the City of Albertville.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Churches & Religion • Settlements & Settlers. A significant historical month for this entry is January 1904.
Location. 34° 16.184′ N, 86° 12.961′ W. Marker is in Albertville, Alabama, in Marshall County. Marker is on West Main Street (Alabama Route 205) west of Lombardy Street, on the left when traveling west. Marker is located in front of the former Little Branch Primitive Baptist Church building. Touch for mapTouch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 8 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Albert Family (within shouting distance of this marker); Pre-Civil War Cemetery (within shouting distance of this marker); Seventh District Agricultural School (approx. 0.8 miles away); Liberty Tree Memorial (approx. 0.8 miles away); Birthplace of Albertville (approx. 0.8 miles away); City of Boaz (approx. 5.7 miles away); Ravine Used For Protection Against Yankee Shelling (approx. 7˝ miles away); Veterans of Foreign Wars Marshall County (approx. 7.6 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Albertville.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on November 7, 2014, by David J Gaines of Pinson, Alabama. This page has been viewed 539 times since then and 63 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on November 7, 2014, by David J Gaines of Pinson, Alabama. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.