Albertville in Marshall County, Alabama — The American South (East South Central)
Seventh District Agricultural School
The Alabama Legislature passed an act in February of 1893 calling for the construction of agricultural schools to be built in each of Alabama’s congressional districts. The city of Albertville was chosen as the site for the seventh congressional district school and a large wooden building was constructed in 1894. On January 12, 1912, that building was destroyed by fire. Later that year, on the same site, a new three-story brick Classical Revival style building with a T-shaped floor plan was constructed. In 1936 the school became the center of the new Albertville High School complex controlled by the Albertville Board of Education. The old school was designated the Hobdy building in honor of the early school president, J.B. Hobdy. This school has continued to provide secondary education for more than 90 years. The building was listed to the Alabama Register of Landmarks and Heritage in 1995.
Erected 2004 by Student Government Association of 2002-2003.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Education. A significant historical date for this entry is January 12, 1912.
Location. 34° 15.759′ Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 402 East McCord Avenue, Albertville AL 35950, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 9 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Liberty Tree Memorial (approx. 0.2 miles away); Birthplace of Albertville (approx. ¼ mile away); Pre-Civil War Cemetery (approx. ¾ mile away); Albert Family (approx. ¾ mile away); A Celebration of 150 Years (approx. 0.8 miles away); City of Boaz (approx. 5 miles away); Sardis City Beginnings (approx. 7.6 miles away); Ravine Used For Protection Against Yankee Shelling (approx. 8.3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Albertville.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on November 7, 2014, by David J Gaines of Pinson, Alabama. This page has been viewed 522 times since then and 30 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on November 7, 2014, by David J Gaines of Pinson, Alabama. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.