Hermitage in Hickory County, Missouri — The American Midwest (Upper Plains)
Here in the Ozark Highland of Missouri, Hickory County was organized 1845, and named for U.S. President Andrew Jackson, known as "Old Hickory." Lying in the Osage land cession of 1808, the county area was early known to French trappers. From 1819 to 1832, a Kickapoo Indian reservation was west of Pomme de Terre (Fr. Potato) River in the county. Settlers from Tenn., and Ky., came in the late 1820's.
Hermitage, the centrally located county seat, on the Pomme de Terre, was laid out 1846-1847, and named for Andrew Jackson's home in Tenn. South of town, 3 miles, in a beautiful scenic area, construction began in 1957 on Pomme de Terre Reservoir and Dam, flood control and recreation project.
Through west Hickory County ran the route of the famed 1858-1861 Butterfield Overland Mail. In the county there was a relay and meal station at Quincy and a relay station near Elkton. During the Civil War, the county suffered troop movement, skirmishes, and guerrilla raids. The only railroad in the county, the K.C., Osceola & So. (Frisco) was built through Weaubleau, 1898.
Weaubleau, site of an early settlement in southwest Hickory County, was laid out 1880, and first called Haren. Early school, Weaubleau Christian Institute, opened in 1871 there. Among other communities and towns are Wheatland, laid out 1869, five miles west of the county seat, Hermitage; Cross Timbers, laid out 1871; Preston, laid out 1857; Pittsburg, settled in 1840's; Avery, settled in 1838; Elkton, settled in 1830's; and Quincy, laid out 1848, at site of county's first post office known as Judy's Gap for blacksmith Samuel Judy.
At Bone Spring, near Avery on Pomme de Terre River, numerous mastodon bones were found in late 1830's and early 1840's. One skeleton put together by St. Louisan Albert Koch was sold, 1844, to the British Museum. An Indian quarry and mounds and campsites have been found in the county.
Erected 1960 by State Historical Society of Missouri and State Highway Commission.
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Settlements & Settlers. In addition, it is included in the Former U.S. Presidents: #07 Andrew JacksonMissouri, The State Historical Society of series lists. A significant historical year for this entry is 1845.
Location. 37° 56.449′ N, 93° 18.936′ W. Marker is in Hermitage, Missouri, in Hickory County. Marker is at the intersection of Jackson Street (Missouri Route 254) and Polk Street, on the right when traveling south on Jackson Street. Marker is on courthouse lawn. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Hermitage MO 65668, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 1 other marker is within walking distance of this marker. Hickory County War Memorial (within shouting distance of this marker).
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on November 10, 2014, by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona. This page has been viewed 362 times since then and 9 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on November 10, 2014, by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona. • Al Wolf was the editor who published this page.