Near Hamlin in Jones County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Boyd Chapel Community
Over the next decades, Boyd Chapel was shaped by early area landowners. These included Guy Arthur Hillier, a New York native who herded sheep from south Texas to this area, where he met and married Minnie Estes. Alexander Brown Young and his wife came to this area in 1897 from east Texas. They settled in the Boyd Chapel community with five sons, including their oldest, Thomas O. Young, who had a wife and family of his own. The Young family deeded land for Methodist and Baptist churches, and a tabernacle, school and teacherage. Judge L. Crow and his wife Dora built a unique house on a rise, using concrete, as well as stone gathered from around the U.S.; they cultivated an orchard and berry fields. In 1916, Raymond Young built a general store and gas station, the only one in Boyd Chapel. As
As in much of rural Texas, World War II greatly impacted the community’s population, with young adults serving in the armed forces or finding work in urban centers in support of the war. In 1947, the school consolidated into the Anson school district. Today, only burials in the nearby Neinda Cemetery link the present agricultural fields to the community known as Boyd Chapel.
Erected 2006 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 13406.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Settlements & Settlers.
Location. 32° 45.488′ N, 100° 5.053′ W. Marker is near Hamlin, Texas, in Jones County. Marker is at the intersection of U.S. 180 and Farm to Market Road 126, on the right when traveling west on U.S. 180. Marker is located at northeast corner of intersection. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Hamlin TX 79520, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 11 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Neinda Community (approx. 2.8 miles away); Neinda Baptist Church (approx. 2.9 miles away); Adair - Steadman Site (approx. 6.4 miles away); Woods Chapel Cemetery (approx. 6.9 miles away); Hamlin (approx. 8.9 miles First Presbyterian Church Building (approx. 10.8 miles away); Anson Opera House (approx. 10.9 miles away); First United Methodist Church of Anson (approx. 10.9 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Hamlin.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on November 10, 2014, by Duane Hall of Abilene, Texas. This page has been viewed 393 times since then and 25 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on November 10, 2014, by Duane Hall of Abilene, Texas.