Two Harbors in Lake County, Minnesota — The American Midwest (Upper Plains)
Hand Car, Velocipede, Sleigh, Station Wagon
Hand and Push Cars were primarily used by section crews to move men and equipment to local work sites. Hand cars did not have a reverse gear and had to be picked up by four men and turned to face the opposite direction.
[Photo caption reads] In addition to road work the hand car was ideal for a berry picking excursion.
Velocipedes were used primarily by foremen and track inspectors. Due to the portability of the design they were highly susceptible to theft. The following documents share some humor surrounding the loss of a certain velocipede and the recovery of another one while looking for the first.
[Several memo images on the marker]
Using hand cars and velocipedes for anything other than railroad business was strictly forbidden as demonstrated by the memo from road master John Shea.
[Image of D&IR memo]
In 1921 the D&IR owned:
120 hand cars at $50.00 each.
126 push cars at $30.00 each.
63 velocipedes at $35.00 each.
Many of these were leased to other railroads or logging firms doing business with the railroad.
The sleigh was restored in 2010. The runners were completely rebuilt by Bruce Hanson and the seats and body were restored by Ryan Williams.
The wagon on display is an example of what was used to ferry men along some of the rough roads in the area during the construction period of the railroad. It is unlikely that long journeys such as from Duluth to Two Harbors were made in these types of wagons. Steamships from Duluth ran daily to the village of Agate Bay and passenger service was established between Duluth and Two Harbors by 1886.
There was a stage company run by Barney Lynch between Two Harbors and Duluth that included the winter U.S. Mail contract.
The wagon displayed here was purchased in July of 188x for $60.00. The wagon was a "station wagon" providing local transportation for people arriving by rail.
This interpretive panel and restoration work was made possible through a grant from the LaBounty Family Fund, part of the Two Harbors Area Fund and the Duluth Superior Area Community Foundation.
Erected by Lake County Historical Society.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Industry & CommerceRailroads & Streetcars • Roads & Vehicles. A significant historical month for this entry is July 1849.
Location. 47° 1.131′ N, 91° 40.22′ W. Marker is in Two Harbors, Minnesota, in Lake County. Marker and equipment are at the Lake County Historical Society Depot Museum. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 520 South Avenue, Two Harbors MN 55616, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The Two Harbors Ore Docks (here, next to this marker); Duluth and Iron Range Depot (a few steps from this marker); First Ore Taken From A Minnesota Mine (a few steps from this marker); a different marker also named First Ore Taken From A Minnesota Mine (a few steps from this marker); Ore Car #251, 1884 & Bobber Caboose #22 (#52), 1893 (a few steps from this marker); Duluth and Iron Range Railroad Locomotive #3 (within shouting distance of this marker); Duluth Missabe & Iron Range Yellowstone Mallet #229 (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Welcome to Paul H. Van Hoven Park (about 600 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Two Harbors.
Also see . . . Lake County Historical Society Depot Museum. (Submitted on November 11, 2014, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
Credits. This page was last revised on August 6, 2021. It was originally submitted on November 11, 2014, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 375 times since then and 12 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on November 11, 2014, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.