Near Apollo in Westmoreland County, Pennsylvania — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
Blockhouse surrounded by stockade with wall guns
Named for Gen. Edward Hand
Erected 1934 by Daughters of the American Revolution Fort Hand Chapter.
Location. 40° 32.811′ N, 79° 36.363′ W. Marker is near Apollo, Pennsylvania, in Westmoreland County. Marker is on Pine Run Road 0.1 miles west of Watt Road, on the right when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Apollo PA 15613, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 9 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Nellie Bly (approx. 3½ miles away); St Gertrude Roman Catholic Church (approx. 4.3 miles away); Vandergrift (approx. 4½ miles away); Pennsylvania Canal (approx. 5.6 miles away); Willie Thrower (approx. 7.9 miles away); Stephanie Kwolek (approx. 8.3 miles away); Fannie Sellins (approx. 8.3 miles away); Eddie Adams (approx. 8½ miles away).
Also see . . . Fort Hand Festival. (Submitted on November 12, 2014, by Mike Wintermantel of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania.)
Categories. Forts, Castles •
More. Search the internet for Fort Hand.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on November 12, 2014, by Mike Wintermantel of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 466 times since then and 5 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on November 12, 2014, by Mike Wintermantel of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania.