Concord in Jackson County, Michigan — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
In 1843 New York natives Alfred and Ruth Paddock migrated to Concord Township. Within two years they erected this Greek Revival house, reminiscent of those in their home state. A prominent merchant, Alfred Paddock (1805-1870) owned and operated one of Concord's first flour mills. He served as township supervisor from 1844 to 1849 and in the Michigan State Senate from 1853 to 1854. In 1854 the Paddocks hosted Concord's first meeting of the Universalist Society in this house.
In February 1897 Truman and Cora Hubbard rented this house from the Paddock family, and eventually purchased the property in 1902. Truman Hubbard served on the Concord village council from 1918 to 1933. In 1953 his farm east of Concord was the site of the first producing oil well in Jackson County. In 1986 the Hubbard's daughter Marion McFarlane (1909-1991) founded the Hubbard Memorial Museum Foundation so that her family's home would become a museum following her death.
Erected 1994 by Bureau of Michigan History, Michigan Department of State. (Marker Number L1842.)
Topics and series. Settlements & Settlers. In addition, it is included in the Michigan Historical Commission, and the Unitarian Universalism (UUism) series lists. A significant historical month for this entry is February 1897.
Location. 42° 10.677′ N, 84° 38.521′ W. Marker is in Concord, Michigan, in Jackson County. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 317 Hanover Street, Concord MI 49237, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 4 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Concord Universalists / First Universalist Church (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Marion Hubbard McFarlane (about 400 feet away); Concord and Vicinity World War II Veterans Memorial (about 700 feet away); Maple Grove Veterans Memorial (approx. half a mile away); West Concord Cemetery / West Brick School (approx. 2.3 miles away); 1835 Spring Arbor Village Plot (approx. 3˝ miles away); Native Herb Garden (approx. 3˝ miles away); Letter From Mrs Matilda of Albion... March, 1914 (approx. 3˝ miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Concord.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on November 14, 2014, by Joel Seewald of Madison Heights, Michigan. This page has been viewed 405 times since then and 35 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on November 14, 2014, by Joel Seewald of Madison Heights, Michigan. • Al Wolf was the editor who published this page.