Anson in Jones County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Anson Opera House
Erected 1963 by Texas State Historical Survey Committee. (Marker Number 173.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Arts, Letters, Music • Entertainment.
Location. 32° 45.424′ N, 99° 53.829′ W. Marker is in Anson, Texas, in Jones County. Marker can be reached from the intersection of 11th Street and W. Court Plaza (U.S. 83/277). Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1120 11th St, Anson TX 79501, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Omar Burleson (within shouting distance of this Jones County (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Anson Jones (about 300 feet away); Jones County Courthouse (about 300 feet away); Fort Phantom Hill C.S.A. / Texas Civil War Frontier Defense (about 300 feet away); First United Methodist Church of Anson (approx. 0.2 miles away); First Presbyterian Church Building (approx. 0.2 miles away); Cowboys' Christmas Ball (approx. 0.8 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Anson.
More about this marker. On the other side of the building entrance is an accompanying medallion and tablet with the inscription “In appreciation to the descendants of A.W. Johnson, donors of the opera house to the city of Anson” with the following names: Rupert H. Johnson, Audrey Johnson Martin, W.M. (Bill) Johnson, Margaret Johnson Hancock, Mary Johnson Behrens, and A.W. Johnson, Jr.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on November 15, 2014, by Duane Hall of Abilene, Texas. This page has been viewed 381 times since then and 13 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on November 15, 2014, by Duane Hall of Abilene, Texas.