St. John's in Division No. 1 (Avalon Peninsula), Newfoundland and Labrador — The Atlantic Provinces
L’hôpital des maladies contagieuses
Two adjoining barracks were constructed on this site between 1837 and 1840. The two story complex stretched the length of the present parking lot. It was converted to stores in 1842 because of problems with smoke, cold and dampness.
From 1846 to 1859, part of the building was used as a prison. After 1870 it was used as a quarantine hospital and it became an important centre for the treatment of diphtheria, smallpox and tuberculosis following the destruction of St. George’s hospital in 1892. New facilities in St. John’s replaced it early in the twentieth century and the hospital was empty when fire destroyed it on December 18, 1920.
It was in a vacant room of this hospital the Guglielmo Marconi received the first transatlantic wireless signal.
De 1849 à 1859, un partie de l’édifice fut employée
C’est dans une chambre vacante de cet hôpital que Guglielmo Marconi reçut le premier message transatlantique sans fil.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Communications • Forts or Castles • Science & Medicine.
Location. 47° 34.228′ N, 52° 40.865′ W. Marker is in St. John's, Newfoundland and Labrador, in Division No. 1 (Avalon Peninsula). Marker is on Signal Hill Road. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: St John's, Newfoundland and Labrador A1A, Canada. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. First Transatlantic Wireless Signal (here, next to this marker); Transatlantic Radio Signals (a few steps from this marker); Battle of Signal Hill (within shouting distance of this marker); Cabot Tower (within shouting distance of this marker); Peacetime Use (about 90 meters away, measured in a direct line); Noon Day Gun (about 90 meters away); Fishery (about 90 meters away); Swiling (about 90 meters away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in St. John's.
More about this marker. This marker is located in the parking lot of Signal Hill National Historic Site.
Credits. This page was last revised on April 15, 2018. It was originally submitted on November 16, 2014, by Barry Swackhamer of Brentwood, California. This page has been viewed 363 times since then and 7 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on November 16, 2014, by Barry Swackhamer of Brentwood, California. • Andrew Ruppenstein was the editor who published this page.