Newton in Dale County, Alabama — The American South (East South Central)
Baptist Collegiate Institute
Organized in 1898 under the Christian leadership of A. W. Tate and Newton Baptist Church. The property was later given to the Baptists of southeast Alabama, adopted by nine Baptist Associations. In 1907 Baptist State Convention agreed to accept the school as a gift and received the deed in 1908. Financial support by the Convention began in 1912. It operated as a high school and junior college from 1921 - 1929 when it closed due to lack of funds.
Presidents serving from 1917 - 1929 were: J. J. Yarborough, L. F. Rutledge, W. G. Johnston, J. A. Lowry, A. C. Anderson, R. W. Langham, C. V. Cheves, P. W. Lett, and C. H. Turner.
Its students brought its Christian influence into all walks of life.
Sponsor — Dale County Historical Society
Erected by Former Students.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Churches & Religion • Education.
Location. 31° 19.856′ N, 85° 35.764′ W. Marker is in Newton, Alabama, in Dale County. Marker is Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 209 Oates Drive, Newton AL 36352, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 9 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Newton (approx. 0.6 miles away); Newton Confederate Memorial (approx. 0.6 miles away); The Hanging of Bill Sketoe (approx. 1.3 miles away); The Block House/River Port - Fort - Ferry (approx. 2.8 miles away); The Mack M. Matthews School (approx. 3.1 miles away); Daleville, Alabama (approx. 7.7 miles away); Boyhood Home of Rev. Bob Jones (approx. 8.7 miles away); D. A. Smith High School/ Professor D. A. Smith, Principal (approx. 9 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Newton.
Credits. This page was last revised on March 24, 2018. It was originally submitted on November 19, 2014, by David J Gaines of Pinson, Alabama. This page has been viewed 573 times since then and 40 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on November 19, 2014, by David J Gaines of Pinson, Alabama. 3. submitted on March 14, 2018, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.