St. John's in Division No. 1 (Avalon Peninsula), Newfoundland and Labrador — The Atlantic Provinces
Former Bank of British North America
L’ancienne Bank of North America
This Italianate style building recalls evolution of banking in Newfoundland, Designed by Halifax architect David Stirling for the Bank of British North America, it opened in 1850 at a time when British investors controlled banking in the colony. Subsequent local ownership by the Commercial Bank (1857-1894) and the Savings Bank (1897-1962) points to a long and vibrant period when Newfoundland investors shaped the colony’s financial institutions. The Bank of Montreal then operated here until 1985, bringing to a close the building’s remarkable 135-year history as a bank.
Cet édifice de style à l’italienne rappelle l’évolution de l’activité bancaire à Terre-Neuve. Conçu par l’architecte David Stirling de Halifax pour la Bank of British North America, l’immeuble a ouvert ses portes en 1850, époque où les investisseurs britanniques contrôlaient les banques de la colonie. Accueillant ensuite des banques locales, la Commercial Bank (1857-1894) et la Savings Bank (1897-1962), il illustre la longue quête des investisseurs terre-neuviens pour façonner leurs propres institutions financières.
Erected 2000 by Historic Sites and Monument Board of Canada/Commission de lieux et monuments historique du Canada.
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Industry & Commerce. In addition, it is included in the Canada, Historic Sites and Monuments Board series list.
Location. 47° 33.951′ N, 52° 42.386′ W. Marker is in St. John's, Newfoundland and Labrador, in Division No. 1 (Avalon Peninsula). Marker is on Duckworth Street just from Soloman's Lane, on the left when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 276 Duckworth Street, St John's, Newfoundland and Labrador A1C, Canada. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Bank of British North America (here, next to this marker); William Carson (about 90 meters away, measured in a direct line); Masonic Temple (about 90 meters away); St. John the Baptist Anglican Cathedral (about 180 meters away); St. John’s Court House (about 240 meters away); (Royal Newfoundland Constabulary Monument) (approx. 0.3 kilometers away); O’Dwyer Block (approx. half a kilometer away); Thompson Building (approx. half a kilometer away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in St. John's.
Additional keywords. banking
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on November 21, 2014, by Barry Swackhamer of Brentwood, California. This page has been viewed 359 times since then and 10 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on November 21, 2014, by Barry Swackhamer of Brentwood, California. • Andrew Ruppenstein was the editor who published this page.