Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Castroville in Medina County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
 

Alsatians of Texas

 
 
Alsatians of Texas Marker image. Click for full size.
By William F Haenn, May 11, 2013
1. Alsatians of Texas Marker
Inscription.  In 1842, Empresario Henry Castro brought his first colonists to Texas to settle land west of the Medina River. Most of the immigrants were from the Rhine River area of Europe. Many claimed the province of Alsace, on the border of France and Germany, as their homeland. The Alsatian colonists brought with them their combined French and German heritage, which has left a distinctive mark on this area of the state.

In 1844, Castro laid out a townsite, which the settlers chose to name Castroville. It became the center of Alsatian culture in Texas. The houses, European in style, are primarily single-story dwellings of cut limestone, mortared with adobe, and white-washed. Over the years, farming has been the major occupation of people in the area, as it was in Alsace.

The Alsatian immigrants and their descendants have made a distinct impression on area politics, holiday customs, cuisine, and religion. Winemaking, using grapes grown along the Medina River, is another early tradition that has continued over the years.

The history of Alsatians in Texas is a reflection of ethnic and cultural diversity in the state's rich
Alsatians of Texas Marker site at Houston Square image. Click for full size.
By William F Haenn, May 11, 2013
2. Alsatians of Texas Marker site at Houston Square
Click or scan to see
this page online
heritage.
 
Erected 1985 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 131.)
 
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Settlements & Settlers. In addition, it is included in the San Antonio-El Paso Road series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1842.
 
Location. 29° 21.375′ N, 98° 52.742′ W. Marker is in Castroville, Texas, in Medina County. Marker is at the intersection of Angelo Street and Paris Street, on the right when traveling north on Angelo Street. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Castroville TX 78009, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. General Wool and the Chihuahua Road (here, next to this marker); St. Louis Day (within shouting distance of this marker); St. Louis Catholic Church (within shouting distance of this marker); St. Louis Church (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Moye (about 700 feet away); First County Courthouse (about 800 feet away); Zion Evangelical Lutheran Church (approx. 0.2 miles away); Site of the Homestead of Henri Castro (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Castroville.
 
Also see . . .
1. Castroville, the "little Alsace" of Texas. Texas State Historical Association (Submitted on November 24, 2014.) 

2. Germans in Texas. Texas State Historical Association
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
(Submitted on November 24, 2014.) 
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on November 22, 2014, by William F Haenn of Fort Clark (Brackettville), Texas. This page has been viewed 481 times since then and 34 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on November 22, 2014, by William F Haenn of Fort Clark (Brackettville), Texas. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=79054

Paid Advertisement
Oct. 17, 2021