St. John's in Division No. 1 (Avalon Peninsula), Newfoundland and Labrador — The Atlantic Provinces
St. John the Baptist Anglican Cathedral
Cathédrale Anglicane St. John the Baptist
Begun in 1847, under the direction of Bishop Feild, this cathedral was designed by the noted British architect George Gilbert Scott and is an internationally important monument of the Gothic Revival style. Its historical correctness and structural rationalism express the ideals of the Cambridge Camden Society, an English group dedicated to reforming the Anglican Church through a return to the 13th century sources. The internal composition of nave and aisles is clearly reflected on the exterior. Scott’s cathedral burned in 1892 and was rebuilt by his son soon after. The intended tower has never been erected.
Oeuvre du célèbre architecte anglais George Gilbert Scott, cette cathédrale, mise en chantier en 1847 par l’évêque Feild, est un monument de style néo-gothique de renommée internationale. La fidélité historique et la rationalité de l’agencement traduisent l’idéal de la Cambridge Camden Society, groupe anglais voué à la réforme de l’Église anglicane par un retour à l’architecture du XIIIᵉ siècle. La composition intérieure de la nef en des bas-côtés apparait clairement à l’extérieur. Détruite
Erected by Historic Sites and Monument Board of Canada/Commission de lieux et monuments historique du Canada.
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Churches & Religion. In addition, it is included in the Canada, Historic Sites and Monuments Board series list.
Location. 47° 33.923′ N, 52° 42.52′ W. Marker is in St. John's, Newfoundland and Labrador, in Division No. 1 (Avalon Peninsula). Marker is on Church Hill just from Gower Street, on the right when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 6 Church Hill, St John's, Newfoundland and Labrador A1C, Canada. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Masonic Temple (about 90 meters away, measured in a direct line); (Royal Newfoundland Constabulary Monument) (about 90 meters away); William Carson (about 120 meters away); Former Bank of British North America (about 180 meters away); Bank of British North America (about 180 meters away); St. John’s Court House (about 180 meters away); O’Dwyer Block (approx. 0.4 kilometers away); Thompson Building (approx. 0.4 kilometers away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in St. John's.
Also see . . . Anglican Cathedral of St. John the Baptist - Heritage Foundation of Newfoundland & Labrador(Submitted on November 22, 2014, by Barry Swackhamer of Brentwood, California.)
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on November 22, 2014, by Barry Swackhamer of Brentwood, California. This page has been viewed 323 times since then and 13 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on November 22, 2014, by Barry Swackhamer of Brentwood, California. 3. submitted on December 1, 2014. 4. submitted on November 22, 2014, by Barry Swackhamer of Brentwood, California. • Andrew Ruppenstein was the editor who published this page.