St. John's in Division No. 1 (Avalon Peninsula), Newfoundland and Labrador — The Atlantic Provinces
Erected by Heritage Foundation of Newfoundland and Labrador.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Industry & Commerce.
Location. 47° 33.702′ N, 52° 42.597′ W. Marker is in St. John's, Newfoundland and Labrador, in Division No. 1 (Avalon Peninsula). Marker is on Water Street just from Beck's Cove, on the right when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 305 Water Street, St John's, Newfoundland and Labrador A1C, Canada. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. O’Dwyer Block (a few steps from this marker); St. John’s Court House (approx. 0.3 kilometers away); (Royal Newfoundland Constabulary Monument) (approx. 0.3 kilometers away); St. John the Baptist Anglican Cathedral (approx. 0.4 kilometers William Carson (approx. 0.4 kilometers away); Masonic Temple (approx. half a kilometer away); Former Bank of British North America (approx. half a kilometer away); Bank of British North America (approx. half a kilometer away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in St. John's.
Also see . . . Thompson Building - Heritage Foundation of Newfoundland & Labrador. Rather than being made exclusively of wood, the builder, probably the merchant Richard O'Dwyer, opted for a brick exterior. This exterior helped save the building from serious damage decades later when the city's last Great Fire destroyed most of the city in 1892. (Submitted on November 22, 2014, by Barry Swackhamer of Brentwood, California.)
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on November 22, 2014, by Barry Swackhamer of Brentwood, California. This page has been viewed 278 times since then and 8 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on November 22, 2014, by Barry Swackhamer of Brentwood, California. • Andrew Ruppenstein was the editor who published this page.