Sandusky in Erie County, Ohio — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
Cholera Cemetery / In Honor of the Doctors
In Honor of the Doctors
Of the city's 5,667 people in 1849, 3,500 fled, and 400 of those remaining were victims of cholera. Most are buried here, some only in rough boxes in a common grave. The scourge came again in 1850 and 1852 but with less toll.
"Dismay stalked abroad in the daytime and the drowsy night was hideous with the wailings of the disconsolate."
Doctors, nurses and others assisted in fighting the cholera in 1849, aiding heroic citizens led by Foster M. Follett. Doctors Austin, Brainard, Lane and Tilden suffered illness and exhaustion, leaving Dr. Cochran alone among Sandusky doctors until aid came. Drs. Ackley, Beaumont, Lauderdale and Spencer, and Messrs. Dolan and Miller of Cleveland; Drs. Banks, Caroland, Follen, Foote, Hughes, Lindsey, Ocheltree, Quinn and Raymond, and Messrs. Bailey, Hindale and Yorke, Mrs. Cowden and nurses from Cincinnati; Dr. Appleton of Philadelphia; Dr. Stanley of Canton; Drs. Evans and Pack of Akron; Drs. Glick and Teagarden of Mansfield; Dr. Vance of Urbana; and Mr. and Miss Rushton of Bellevue.
"They came emphatically in our time of need,
Erected 1965 by The Ohio Historical Society. (Marker Number 3-22.)
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Disasters. In addition, it is included in the Ohio Historical Society / The Ohio History Connection series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1849.
Location. 41° 26.981′ N, 82° 43.511′ W. Marker is in Sandusky, Ohio, in Erie County. Marker is on Harrison Street north of Jefferson Street, on the left when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Sandusky OH 44870, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Holy Angels Catholic Church (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); Sandusky’s First Cemetery (approx. 0.4 miles away); Charles, Daniel and Gustave Frohman (approx. half a mile away); Old Sandusky Post Office (approx. 0.7 miles away); “The Early Birds” (approx. ¾ mile away); The Hinde & Dauch Paper Company (approx. ¾ mile away); The Boy with the Boot (approx. ¾ mile away); Sandusky / Erie County (approx. 0.8 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Sandusky.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on November 23, 2014, by Denise Boose of Tehachapi, California. This page has been viewed 475 times since then and 30 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7. submitted on November 23, 2014, by Denise Boose of Tehachapi, California. • Al Wolf was the editor who published this page.