Sandusky in Erie County, Ohio — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
Ohio Veterans Home
Ohio Soldiers and Sailors home 1888-1979
Opposite Side: Ohio Veterans Home
(continued from other side)
Built of Sandusky Blue Limestone with sandstone details in the Richardsonian Romanesque style, the restored I.F. Mack Administration Building houses museums for the Ohio Veterans Hall of Fame and the Ohio Veterans Home. Six remaining residential cottages, also in the Romanesque style, were built between 1896 and 1908. Original houses of Officers' Row stand along DeWitt Avenue. In 1979, the facility was renamed the Ohio Veterans Home (OVH),
Erected 2001 by Ohio Bicentennial Commission, The Longaberger Company, The Ohio Veterans Home, and The Ohio Historical Society. (Marker Number 19-22.)
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Government & Politics. In addition, it is included in the Ohio Historical Society / The Ohio History Connection series list.
Location. 41° 25.382′ N, 82° 40.759′ W. Marker is in Sandusky, Ohio, in Erie County. Marker is on Milan Road, on the right when traveling north. There are two markers within the park. This one is located outside the east stone gate on Milan Road. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: Milan Road, Sandusky OH 44870, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 3 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. A different marker also named Ohio Veterans Home (approx. 0.2 miles away); Cooke-Dorn House (approx. 2 miles away); Cable Park Historic District (approx. 2 miles away); Old Perkins Cemetery (approx. 2.2 miles away); Good Samaritan HospitalKnute Rockne Wedding (approx. 2½ miles away); Sandusky’s First Congregation — 1818 (approx. 2½ miles away); Oran Follett (approx. 2.6 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Sandusky.
More about this marker. Inadvertently numbered 14-23 instead of 19-22 according to www.remarkableohio.org.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on November 23, 2014, by Denise Boose of Tehachapi, California. This page has been viewed 309 times since then and 28 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8. submitted on November 23, 2014, by Denise Boose of Tehachapi, California. • Al Wolf was the editor who published this page.