Near Burke in Angelina County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Fairview School students met at Fairview Baptist Church from about 1905 until 1913, when the county school board reorganized the common school districts. In 1915 land was purchased for a school site. A two-room schoolhouse was constructed in 1917 and enlarged with the additions of a cafeteria and an auditorium in the 1940s.
The school became a community center for area residents. It served as a voting place and was the focus of social activities and holiday events. County-wide sporting events were held on the grounds.
The Fairview School not only provided quality education for grades one through seven, but also hosted programs that benefited farmers. Government advisors gave instruction on agricultural techniques to increase production of cattle and the local crops of peanuts, corn, and cotton. The school closed in 1963 and was consolidated with the Lufkin School District.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Education. A significant historical year for this entry is 1898.
Location. 31° 15.414′ N, 94° 42.921′ W. Marker is near Burke, Texas, in Angelina County. Marker is on Farm to Market Road 2108, on the left when traveling south. 100 yards south of FM 2108, 3 miles east of Burke. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Lufkin TX 75901, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 5 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Lindsey Springs Logging Camp (approx. 2.1 miles away); Hoshall (approx. 2˝ miles away); Whitehouse Cemetery (approx. 2.9 miles away); Burke Methodist Church (approx. 3.6 miles away); Burke School (approx. 3.7 miles away); City of Lufkin (approx. 4.1 miles away); First Christian Church of Lufkin (approx. 4.7 miles away); First United Methodist Church of Lufkin (approx. 4.9 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Burke.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on November 4, 2010, by Steve Gustafson of Lufkin, Texas. This page has been viewed 1,332 times since then and 31 times this year. Last updated on November 23, 2014, by Robert Martin of Diboll, TX - Texas. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on November 4, 2010, by Steve Gustafson of Lufkin, Texas. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.
Editor’s want-list for this marker. A photo of the marker and the surrounding area in context. • Can you help?