Near Albany in Shackelford County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Butterfield Overland Mail
passed this point
Erected 1958 by Lee's Legion Chapter of the Daughters of the American Revolution. (Marker Number 584.)
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Communications • Roads & Vehicles. In addition, it is included in the Butterfield Overland Mail series list.
Location. 32° 44.135′ N, 99° 31.034′ W. Marker is near Albany, Texas, in Shackelford County. Marker can be reached from U.S. 180 1.8 miles east of Bluff Creek Road (County Road 201), on the right when traveling east. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Albany TX 76430, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 12 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Bud Matthews Switch of the Texas Central Railway (within shouting distance of this marker); Cold War Hardline Communications Pit (approx. 1.4 miles away); The Cable Tool Oil Field (approx. 2 miles away); Smith's Station Lueders Cemetery (approx. 6.2 miles away); Big Country Baptist Assembly (approx. 6.7 miles away); Fort Phantom Hill (approx. 11.4 miles away); a different marker also named Fort Phantom Hill (approx. 11.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Albany.
Regarding Butterfield Overland Mail. An archaeological investigation done in 2004 indicates that the Butterfield Overland Mail trail crossed US 180 two miles southeast of the 1958 DAR marker. The link to the archaeological report is found below.
Also see . . .
1. Butterfield Overland Mail - Wikipedia entry. (Submitted on November 26, 2014.)
2. Butterfield Overland Mail. From the Texas State Historical Association's "Handbook of Texas Online". (Submitted on November 26, 2014.)
3. Road leaving Smith's Station to the Northeast by Joe Allen. Archaeological report on Butterfield Overland Mail trail on the lands of Chimney Creek Ranch. (Submitted on November 26, 2014.)
1. Marker Number
Although not a state marker, the Texas Historical Commission has assigned Marker Number 584 to the marker.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on November 26, 2014, by Duane Hall of Abilene, Texas. This page has been viewed 436 times since then and 30 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on November 26, 2014, by Duane Hall of Abilene, Texas.