Philadelphia in Philadelphia County, Pennsylvania — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
Franklin Privy Pit
This brick-lined, circular "necessary" (privy) pit was probably built when Franklin expanded his house in 1786-87
A stone drain connecting to a vertical brick pipe conveyed waste into the pit either from Franklin's "water closet", "bathing room" or "run-off" from the sunken areaway outside the cellar kitchen. This is a remnant of areaway foundation retaining wall. Vertical brick pipe.
"… [Dr. Franklin] is obliged to use the warm bath every day to ease the pain of the gallstone. His bathing vessel is said to be a curiosity: it is copper, in the form of a slipper; he sits in the heel and his legs go under the vamp, on the instep he has a place to fix his book, and here he sits and enjoys himself …"
Rev. Belknap to Rev. Manasseh Cutler, Nov. 18, 1785
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Anthropology & Archaeology. A significant historical date for this entry is October 18, 1785.
Location. 39° 56.967′ N, 75° 8.798′ W. Marker is in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, in Philadelphia County. Marker can be reached from Market Street. Located within Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Philadelphia PA 19106, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Remnant of Brick Flooring (here, next to this marker); "I hardly know how to justify…" (a few steps from this marker); "…his library is…" (a few steps from this marker); "…two windows at each end…" (a few steps from this marker); "We have no plates…" (a few steps from this marker); Billy (a few steps from this marker); "…three damask tablecloths…" (a few steps from this marker); "…a device like a bellpull…" (a few steps from this marker). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Philadelphia.
Credits. This page was last revised on March 2, 2022. It was originally submitted on November 27, 2014, by Nathan Davidson of Salisbury, Maryland. This page has been viewed 551 times since then and 53 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on November 27, 2014, by Nathan Davidson of Salisbury, Maryland. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.