Carver in Carver County, Minnesota — The American Midwest (Upper Plains)
Church by-the River, Presbyterian Church
has been placed on the
of Historic Places
by the United States
Department of the Interior
Church by-the River,
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Churches & Religion.
Location. 44° 45.76′ N, 93° 37.424′ W. Marker is in Carver, Minnesota, in Carver County. Marker is on Main Street East east of Broadway Street, on the right when traveling east. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 109 Main Street East, Carver MN 55315, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Stephen Kult Clothing Store (within shouting distance of this marker); Minnesota Valley Oil Co. (within shouting distance of this marker); Funk Hardware Store (about 600 feet away, measured in a direct line); Trinity Lutheran Church (approx. 0.2 miles away); Van De Veire Knoll (approx. ¼ mile away); Little Rapids Fur Post (approx. 1½ miles away); Brinkhaus Livery Stable (approx. 2 miles away); City Square Park (approx. 2.1 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Carver.
Also see . . .
1. Preserve America Community. "...the Church-by-the-River, a former Presbyterian church built in 1913, was restored through the efforts of the city and the Carver Lions Club. The building now serves as the venue for city council and commission meetings as well as for a wide range of civic activities. An archive of historic Carver photographs is displayed in the building." (Submitted on November 28, 2014.)
2. Historic Carver. "In 1913 the congregation built a permanent church with $3600 paid for construction to noted Carver building contractor Olaf Hanson. Church membership declined after 1959 and the building incurred damage in the great 1965 flood." (Submitted on November 28, 2014.)
3. Church by the River. Photo of the church on Flickr. (Submitted on November 28, 2014.)
4. Carver Historic District National Register Nomination. (Submitted on November 30, 2014.)
1. Preserve America Community
Carver was named a Preserve America Community by the White House in 2007. It was only the eighth so to be named in the state of Minnesota.
— Submitted November 28, 2014.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on November 28, 2014, by Keith L of Wisconsin Rapids, Wisconsin. This page has been viewed 444 times since then and 17 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on November 28, 2014, by Keith L of Wisconsin Rapids, Wisconsin.