Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Wayne in Wayne County, Michigan — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
 

Johnson's Tavern

 
 
Johnson's Tavern Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Joel S., November 26, 2014
1. Johnson's Tavern Marker
Inscription.  In 1824 George M. Johnson purchased eighty acres of land from the government and erected a log tavern at this location, a days journey from Detroit. Stephen G. Simmons bought the tavern from Johnson in 1825 and operated it until he was hanged for the murder of his wife in 1830. In 1832 the tavern, located on the new Detroit-Chicago military road, was purchased by Ezra Derby. He later subdivided some of his land and sold lots. A hamlet known as Derby's developed around the tavern, and in 1836 the name of the settlement was changed to Wayne, apparently to honor General Anthony Wayne. On April 12, 1869, forty-five years after George Johnson settled here, the village was incorporated.
 
Erected 1969 by Michigan Historical Commission. (Marker Number S0296.)
 
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Settlements & Settlers. In addition, it is included in the Michigan Historical Commission series list. A significant historical month for this entry is April 1827.
 
Location. 42° 16.953′ N, 83° 23.059′ W. Marker is in Wayne, Michigan, in Wayne
Johnson's Tavern Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Joel S., November 26, 2014
2. Johnson's Tavern Marker
Click or scan to see
this page online
County. Marker is at the intersection of West Michigan Avenue (U.S. 12) and South Wayne Road, on the right when traveling west on West Michigan Avenue. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 35118 West Michigan Avenue, Wayne MI 48184, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 3 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. City of Wayne (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); First Congregational Church (about 600 feet away); Old Wayne Village Hall (about 600 feet away); Veteran's Peace Memorial (about 600 feet away); Old Wayne Cemetery (approx. 0.2 miles away); Wayne Industries (approx. 0.6 miles away); Norwayne Subdivision (approx. 1.6 miles away); Eloise (approx. 2.1 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Wayne.
 
Also see . . .  Anthony Wayne at Wikipedia. (Submitted on December 1, 2014, by Joel Seewald of Madison Heights, Michigan.)
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on February 28, 2022. It was originally submitted on December 1, 2014, by Joel Seewald of Madison Heights, Michigan. This page has been viewed 349 times since then and 25 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on December 1, 2014, by Joel Seewald of Madison Heights, Michigan. • Al Wolf was the editor who published this page.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=79302

Paid Advertisements
 
 

May. 17, 2022