Near Baird in Callahan County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Military Telegraph Line
Established in 1874-1875 from Fort Griffin to Fort Concho, crossed here
Erected 1936 by State of Texas. (Marker Number 3378.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Texas 1936 Centennial Markers and Monuments marker series.
Location. 32° 23.474′ N, 99° 17.078′ W. Marker is near Baird, Texas, in Callahan County. Marker is on Finley Road (County Road 324) 0.6 miles east of County Road 323, on the right when traveling east. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Baird TX 79504, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 7 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Callahan City Cemetery (approx. 3.2 miles away); Site of Callahan City (approx. 3.2 miles away); Ross Cemetery (approx. 6 miles away); Captain Andrew Jackson Berry (approx. 6 miles away); The Bankhead Highway (approx. 6 miles away); First Presbyterian Church of Baird (approx. 6.3 Baby Treaty Oak (approx. 6.4 miles away); Pioneers (approx. 6.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Baird.
More about this marker. At the time the marker was erected in 1936, County Road 324 was U.S. Route 80 which traversed the United States from Savannah, Georgia to San Diego, California. US 80 was decomissioned in this location when Interstate 20 was constructed, and the road was transferred to county ownership.
Categories. • Communications • Forts, Castles •
More. Search the internet for Military Telegraph Line.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on December 1, 2014, by Duane Hall of Abilene, Texas. This page has been viewed 279 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on December 1, 2014, by Duane Hall of Abilene, Texas.