The Hill of Glory
Cerro de la Gloria
It was originally known as "Cerro del Pilar." By order of the provincial government, in 1913 it changed its name; and different jobs started to build the sculpture. The place was chosen by the author himself, the Uruguayan sculptor Juan Manuel Ferrari, who sought a hill overlooking the mountains to enhance the symbol of the epic as a cusp. For the erection of the monument, he was suggested by different important figures, as expert Francisco P. Moreno, member of the National Commission appointed to complete the work.
Erected by Mendoza, Argentina.
Topics. This memorial is listed in this topic list: Military.
Location. 32° 53.318′ S, 68° 53.475′ W. Marker is in Mendoza. Memorial is on Bajada del Cierro. The markers and monument are located on a hilltop in General San Martin Park. Touch for map. Marker is Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 1 other marker is within 5 kilometers of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Monument to Hispanic-Argentine Brotherhood (approx. 4.6 kilometers away).
Regarding The Hill of Glory. This monument is stunning in its artistic storytelling and its location overlooking the Andes. It summarizes the role of the City of Mendoza and the Army of the Andes in successful freeing Chile from Spanish rule in 1817 through four friezes on each side of the monument.
Also see . . . Army of the Andes. The Army of the Andes, led by José de San Martín, crossed the Andes in 1817 to successfully free Chile from Spanish rule. Its staging point was Mendoza, Argentina. (Submitted on December 2, 2014, by Marsha A. Matson of Palmetto Bay, Florida.)
Credits. This page was last revised on March 10, 2018. It was originally submitted on December 2, 2014, by Marsha A. Matson of Palmetto Bay, Florida. This page has been viewed 519 times since then and 8 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10. submitted on December 2, 2014, by Marsha A. Matson of Palmetto Bay, Florida. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.