Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Wayne in Wayne County, Michigan — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
 

First Congregational Church

 
 
First Congregational Church Marker image. Click for full size.
By Joel S., November 26, 2014
1. First Congregational Church Marker
Inscription.  On August 20, 1848, the Reverend James S. Kidder and nine members chartered the First Congregational Church of Wayne. Later that year, a Congregational society was formed. The two organizations worked as one body, but were separate, with the congregation looking to the spiritual needs of its members and the society taking care of secular matters associated with the church. The society owned the church property and took responsibility for its legal and financial interests. The church and society memberships were not always the same. In 1849 the society erected a Greek Revival meetinghouse on this site. Destroyed by fire in 1970, it was replaced by the present building in 1973.
 
Erected 1999 by Michigan Historical Center, Michigan Department of State. (Marker Number L2053.)
 
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Churches & Religion. In addition, it is included in the Michigan Historical Commission series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1848.
 
Location. 42° 16.86′ N, 83° 23.044′ W. Marker is in Wayne, Michigan
First Congregational Church Marker image. Click for full size.
By Joel S., November 26, 2014
2. First Congregational Church Marker
Click or scan to see
this page online
, in Wayne County. Marker is at the intersection of South Wayne Road and Main Street, on the right when traveling south on South Wayne Road. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Wayne MI 48184, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 3 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Veteran's Peace Memorial (within shouting distance of this marker); City of Wayne (within shouting distance of this marker); Old Wayne Village Hall (within shouting distance of this marker); Johnson's Tavern (about 600 feet away, measured in a direct line); Old Wayne Cemetery (approx. 0.2 miles away); Wayne Industries (approx. 0.6 miles away); Norwayne Subdivision (approx. 1.6 miles away); Eloise (approx. 2.1 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Wayne.
 
Also see . . .  First Congregational Church of Wayne. (Submitted on May 29, 2021, by J.T. Lambrou of New Boston, Michigan.)
 
View of the church from across South Wayne Road. image. Click for full size.
By J.T. Lambrou, May 29, 2021
3. View of the church from across South Wayne Road.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 29, 2021. It was originally submitted on December 2, 2014, by Joel Seewald of Madison Heights, Michigan. This page has been viewed 273 times since then and 36 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on December 2, 2014, by Joel Seewald of Madison Heights, Michigan.   3. submitted on May 29, 2021, by J.T. Lambrou of New Boston, Michigan. • Al Wolf was the editor who published this page.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=79329

Paid Advertisement
Oct. 25, 2021