Natchez in Adams County, Mississippi — The American South (East South Central)
Commercial Bank Building
Built ca. 1836, this structure, a National Historic Landmark, is a fine example of the Greek Revival style. A Banker’s House attached to the rear insured security & gives the structure an unusual and practical plan.
Erected 1976 by Mississippi Department of Archives and History.
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Architecture • Industry & Commerce. In addition, it is included in the Mississippi State Historical Marker Program, and the National Historic Landmarks series lists. A significant historical year for this entry is 1836.
Location. 31° 33.675′ N, 91° 24.302′ W. Marker is in Natchez, Mississippi, in Adams County. Marker is at the intersection of Main Street and South Canal Street, on the left when traveling west on Main Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 206 Main Street, Natchez MS 39120, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Intersection of Main and Canal Streets (within shouting distance of this marker); Intersection of Main and Wall streets (within shouting distance of this marker); "The Natchez Burning"Intersection of State and South Canal streets (about 500 feet away); William Johnson House (about 500 feet away); a different marker also named The William Johnson House (about 500 feet away); Bluff Park - Playground for the City (about 500 feet away); Adams County Confederate Memorial (about 500 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Natchez.
Regarding Commercial Bank Building. National Register of Historic Places #74002252.
Also see . . . Commercial Bank and Banker's House. Wikipedia entry:
The Commercial Bank was chartered in 1833, and this unique building was constructed soon afterward. For security reasons, it was designed to contain both the bank and the banker's residence. Levin R. Marshall, who lived at the suburban Natchez Richmond estate, helped found the bank and was president for a number of years. The bank portion of the building has seen a variety of uses over its period of existence, including as a Christian Science center in the 1970s. (Submitted on April 21, 2021, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
Credits. This page was last revised on December 7, 2021. It was originally submitted on December 2, 2014, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. This page has been viewed 789 times since then and 15 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on December 3, 2014, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. 3, 4, 5. submitted on December 7, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. 6. submitted on May 27, 2017. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.