Fort Covington in Franklin County, New York — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
On This Site was Built in 1812 a Blockhouse
was built in 1812
a blockhouse used to
shelter sick and wounded
after the retreat from
Chryslers Field in 1813
Erected 1939 by New York State Education Department.
Topics. This memorial is listed in this topic list: War of 1812.
Location. 44° 59.396′ N, 74° 29.853′ W. Marker is in Fort Covington, New York, in Franklin County. Memorial is on Salmon Street 0.2 miles north of Chateaugay Street (New York State Route 37), on the right when traveling north. Marker is at the building of the Free & Accepted Masons of New York, 383 Northern Aurora Lodge. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 722 Salmon Street, Fort Covington NY 12937, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 5 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. War of 1812 (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); a different marker also named War of 1812 (about 700 feet away); Fort Covington, New York (about 700 feet away); a different marker also named Fort Covington (about 700 feet away); This Memorial is Dedicated by the Town of Ft. CovingtonOn This Building Site was Headquarters of General Jacob Brown (approx. 0.2 miles away); To The Memory of Westville Soldiers (approx. 4.4 miles away); In Honor of Those Who Served Our Country (approx. 4.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Fort Covington.
More about this marker. Prior to 1817 Fort Covington was called French Mills.
Regarding On This Site was Built in 1812 a Blockhouse. The blockhouse was named Fort Covington by Brigadier General James Wilkinson in honor of General Leonard Covington who died in French Mills on November 14, 1813, having been mortally wounded at the Battle of Crysler's Farm. From French Mills, sick and wounded were transported 18 miles south to Malone, but many remained at French Mills due to their numbers. The sick count was 200 on February 1st, 1814. Secretary of War Armstrong ordered French Mills abandoned, which began on February 3, 1814. The ill were transported to Burlington, VT, except for 20 that could not travel. Reference: Everest, Allan S.,"The War of 1812 in the Champlain Valley," Syracuse University Press, 1981.
Related markers. Click here for a list of markers that are related to this marker. Leonard Covington birthplace and Battle of Crysler's Farm 1813 markers.
Also see . . .
1. Battle of Crysler's Farm - Wikipedia. This battle has name variations. (Submitted on November 27, 2014, by Anton Schwarzmueller of Wilson, New York.)
2. Leonard Covington - Biographical Directory of the U.S. Congress. (Submitted on November 28, 2014, by Anton Schwarzmueller of Wilson, New York.)
3. Leonard Covington - Wikipedia. (Submitted on November 28, 2014, by Anton Schwarzmueller of Wilson, New York.)
Additional keywords. French Mills Frenchs Mills French's Mills Chrysler's Farm Chryslers Farm Chrysler's Field Crysler's Farm Cryslers Farm Crysler's Field Cryslers Farm Leonard Covington
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on November 27, 2014, by Anton Schwarzmueller of Wilson, New York. This page has been viewed 354 times since then and 34 times this year. Last updated on December 4, 2014, by Anton Schwarzmueller of Wilson, New York. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on November 27, 2014, by Anton Schwarzmueller of Wilson, New York. 5, 6. submitted on November 28, 2014, by Anton Schwarzmueller of Wilson, New York. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.