Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”

Near Fort Davis in Jeff Davis County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
 

Bloys Camp Meeting

 
 
Bloys Camp Meeting Marker image. Click for full size.
By William F Haenn, November 30, 2014
1. Bloys Camp Meeting Marker
Inscription.  Held each year since 1890. Founded by Rev. W.B. Bloys, a Presbyterian. His camp pulpit was an Arbuckle Coffee crate. First campers, 48 people from remote ranches and towns, slept in tents, wagons. Family groups had chuck-box meals, sharing with guests. Some 1,500 attend mid-August meetings today. Still nothing is ever sold in camp.

Baptists, Disciples of Christ, Methodists and Presbyterians incorporated the Cowboys' Camp Meeting in 1902. Site, Skillman Grove, has been a camp ground since the 1850's. Elevation is about 6,000 feet.
 
Erected 1966 by State Historical Survey Committee. (Marker Number 10473.)
 
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Churches & Religion. In addition, it is included in the San Antonio-El Paso Road series list.
 
Location. 30° 32.789′ N, 104° 8.405′ W. Marker is near Fort Davis, Texas, in Jeff Davis County. Marker is on State Highway 166 13.8 miles west of State Highway 17, on the left when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is
Bloys Camp Meeting Marker site image. Click for full size.
By William F Haenn, November 30, 2014
2. Bloys Camp Meeting Marker site
in this post office area: Fort Davis TX 79734, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 2 other markers are within 13 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. McDonald Observatory of the University of Texas (approx. 11.1 miles away); Prude Ranch (approx. 12.1 miles away).
 
Also see . . .  Bloys Campmeeting Association. (Submitted on December 5, 2014.)
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on December 4, 2014, by William F Haenn of Fort Clark (Brackettville), Texas. This page has been viewed 310 times since then and 30 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on December 4, 2014, by William F Haenn of Fort Clark (Brackettville), Texas. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement
Nov. 30, 2020